Benefits of our Pharmacies
The vast majority of medications for your pets can be provided at the time of examination or within a short period of receiving a request, so that your pet can benefit as soon as possible. We have a system of interlinked pharmacies, and a 5 times a week deliveries from our wholesalers, so if an item is not on site, we can usually source it rapidly.
The Pharmacy and Dispensing is highly regulated legally, so please bear with us if there appears to be a delay in the process. All Veterinary Prescription Only Medicines (POM-V’s) need a Vet to authorise them; and other items in different legal categories may require different trained staff to be available to hand them out.
Safe dispensing is paramount, and we have a ‘3 check & initials’ system for each item. This means that everything is checked and we have a traceable system.
Why use an in-house Pharmacy?
Because medicating an animal is not just a paper transaction…
- We provide the face of dispensing, somewhere to go back to for advice on giving the medication
- We can guide you for example, with flea preparations towards the ones that work, and away from those that don’t do so well anymore
- We provide added information and support not found on the data sheets.
- Each time you request a repeat medication, you are dealing with a real person. That short human contact can help to pick up an early indication that your pet’s health isn’t quite right, and we can often get them back on track before it’s too late.
You are dealing with people you know, with an easily accessible address, and regulated by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, and in their Practice Standards Scheme.
Written prescriptions are available from this practice. You may obtain Prescription Only Medicines, category V (POM-V) from your veterinary surgeon, or ask for a written prescription and obtain these medicines from another veterinary surgeon or pharmacy. Your veterinary surgeon may prescribe POM-V’s only for animals under his or her care.
A charge is made for each written prescription, and per POM-V prescribed. A prescription may not be appropriate if your animal is an in-patient or immediate treatment is necessary. You will be informed on request of the price of any medicine that may be prescribed for your animal.
The general policy of this practice is to re-examine an animal requiring repeat medications every 6 months, but this may vary with individual circumstances. The standard charge for such re-examination is either an initial consultation fee or a follow up consultation fee (these fees can be requested by contacting any of our surgeries).
We strongly urge clients who wish to use alternative pharmacies, especially on-line, to research them thoroughly, to look for the VMD (Veterinary Medicines Directorate) logo with an individual reference number, so as to minimise the risks of inappropriate or illegal dispensing for their pet’s medications.
Repeat medications are available on request upon the following conditions:
- Your pet’s condition is steady and has not shown any recent increase in symptoms or signs of ill health
- Repeat medications are dispensed at the vets’ discretion and cannot be prescribed without a vet’s authorisation
- Your pet must be examined and assessed by one of our veterinary surgeons. We usually set this at every 6 months, but this will vary with an individual’s health and progress.
- Medication which is taken off the practice’s premises cannot be returned for credit or refund
- These conditions are in line with the veterinary pharmacy legislation and therefore we are unable to provide medication if your pet is due for a health check.
To request a repeat medication, please complete this form or telephone your surgery. If there is a reason we are unable to provide your pet’s medication, we will get in touch with you using the contact telephone number you provide us with.
Please note: repeat medications requests can take up to two working week days to process. Some medications may also need ordering from our Wholesalers if not in stock. However, if medication is URGENT, please TELEPHONE the surgery, and we shall try to fast track the process.