Reporting to the Clinical Directors, you would provide ongoing support in the running of the practice. You would assist in the efficient running of the practice and ensuring all communication and clinical protocols are delivered and maintained.
Linnaeus Group is a vibrant, forward-thinking partnership of highly respected veterinary practices across the UK, comprising some of the best clinicians in the profession.
Linnaeus invest in quality practices who put patient care at the heart of everything they do. We are incredibly proud of each and every member of our diverse portfolio, from the UK’s most respected small animal referral centres to our selection of high quality first opinion practices.
Our Vision is: ‘To be recognised as the UK’s leading veterinary group, committed to excellence in all that we do, delivered through high quality practices who share a common ethos’.
Our Values are: Leadership with Integrity | Learning & Innovation | Lifetime Commitment to Quality Care
Main purpose & goals
To lead by example and practise high standards of service for 608 Vet Practice clients and care through examination, medical and surgical treatment of their animals.
To support and maintain a good working atmosphere, respect between all staff, work as a professional team for all animals under our care, always behaving in a manner that instils confidence in the veterinary profession and our Practice.
- Ensure that protocols for the recording, reporting and governance of results are followed
- Maintain the high standards; and research further development of the services
- Ensure the protocols for examination and assessment of all in-patients are followed on a daily basis
- Ensure the protocols for hospitalisation records regarding updating accurately and regularly by nursing staff are adhered to
- Inform nurses and/or vets of any changes to clinical care or medication protocols.
- Excellent communication skills required to respond to clients’ calls, queries or issues in a timely manner
- Ensure clients are aware of the estimated costs of treatment, have been given options and a recommended course of action as stated in the RCVS Guide to Professional Conduct thereby not exposing the client to unnecessary expenditure
- Ensure the appropriate invoicing of all clinical cases
Out of Hours and Home Visits
- Ensure protocols for all in-patients being checked, the security of the centre is maintained, and that on call arrangements are in place.
- Ensure that home visits and out of hours arrangements for surgery visits are made following the 608 Vet Practice guidelines concerning personal safety at all times.
- To attend Clinical Directors meetings 1-2 times a month
- To oversee nursing care within the surgery and work with the Head Nurse on staffing or work issues. Be aware of nurse training requirements and how individual trainees fit into the work of the Practice
- To consistently adhere to the 608 Vet Practice core values whilst confidently able to support team members in delivering these values
- To attend and provide support at monthly Practice Meetings
- In conjunction with Clinical Directors, to research, develop and implement new approaches to treatment, surgery and laboratory investigations
- Demonstrate a positive approach to change whilst cascading key Practice information to staff teams
- Maintain governance of clinical protocols delivered by both vets and nurses
- Assist in implementation/maintaining clinical protocols, helping to ensure all relevant staff have been trained appropriately
- Ensure all clinical cases are managed appropriately in the absence of the Clinical Directors
- To organise and host Clinical Meetings monthly.
- To instigate Morbidity Meetings with a no-blame approach.
- To encourage vets and nurses to share knowledge gained from CPD events
- Manage available budget and resources in accordance with the established systems and procedures
- Authorise direct claims, refunds & credits, discretionary discounts and deferred payments within the agreed parameters of the Clinical Directors
- Support the reception & clinical teams in responding to customer complaints, ensuring they are promptly dealt with, passing them swiftly on to your Clinical Director or Practice Manager for resolution where appropriate
- Be proactive in sourcing CPD training and attend the appropriate courses.
- Take part in in-house training, staff meetings and vets clinical discussion meetings
- Keep up to date with clinical developments
Health and Safety
- Take responsibility for the safety of clients and staff within the Practice when animals are being handled or treated. Ensure that appropriate restraint (chemical if necessary) is employed.
- Ensure familiarity with the Health and Safety Policy including codes of practice and risk assessments
- Ensure compliance with correct procedures during radiography including the use of monitoring badges and compliance with COSHH guidelines in the dispensing and handling of all drugs.
- Proactively attend to actual or potential risks around the Practice, with the support from Clinical Directors
- To assist Clinical Directors in the interview and appointment of new veterinary assistants
- To help the Practice Manager in dealing with Veterinary rotas and organising re-arrangements in the event of holidays, CPD and sickness
|Knowledge and Experience||
Minimum 5 years’ postgraduate clinical experience
Will maintain a consistent high quality of work
Needs to have sound awareness of when a second opinion or referral is required either in-house or external
Able to demonstrate reliability in performing tasks accurately within the allotted timescales
Will demonstrate the ability and interest to suggest and develop new sound ideas and methods
Minimum of 5 years proven experience in a small animal practice in UK
Familiarity with Windows applications: Word, Excel
Familiarity with email and web-based communication
Holder of a Veterinary Medicine degree.
Strong supervisory skills
Demonstrates sound judgement with making decisions (clinical/staff/ customer)
Attention to detail
Organised and methodical approach to work
Empathic & approachable
Ability to build great working relationships
|Proficiency using the computerised PMS|
|Other qualities||Full driving licence|
Health & Safety
- Be fully aware of all Health & Safety issues and read all information supplied